Saturday, February 14, 2009

Burning Ghats

We are in Varanasi, the holiest city in the Hindu part of India. The Ganges (Ganga to the people here) flows through the heart of the city and the Ghats stretch for five miles along the river. Ghats are ancient stone stairs that climb from the river to the temple up above the river and each Ghat has a particular god or ritual associated with it.

Two of the Ghats are sites for the ritual cremation process that is an essential part of Hindu religion on the path to Nirvana. To be cremated here means that you will be farther along your path to Nirvana. I have seen film of this ceremony when I studied to prepare for the Death and Dying class, but to be here and to witness to whole ritual from beginning -carrying the body down from the city to the water to bathe and purify it, through the preparation of the pyre and the burning of the body was very moving and awe-full (in its true meaning). A young man stayed with me for the whole three hours and explained the meaning of each step of the complicated ritual to send the soul on. I feel very blessed to have had this experience.

Perhaps I can share more later, but my internet time is finished.

M

1 comment:

Betty said...

I just found your blog and it is facanating. Some of it is sad.I hope you are having a wonderful time.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
Hugs ~~ Betty~~